Invitation for Children to participate in the 46 International Children’s Exhibition of Fine Art Lidice 2018
Forms for Schools
Forms for Individual participants
Dear children, dear teachers,
Please accept our invitation to participate in the 46th International Children’s Exhibition of Fine Arts Lidice 2018. The exhibition was established in 1967 to commemorate the child victims from the Czech village of Lidice, murdered by German Nazis in 1942, as well as other children who had died in wars. This exhibition has earned a reputation of being one of the largest and oldest events in childrens´ art production and has become well known among children and teachers not only in the Czech Republic but literally all over the world. We have received more than 25,000 entries from more than 80 countries from all over the world in recent years.
Hope you will find an inspiration in this year’s theme, we are looking forward to your entries.
The Lidice Memorial under the auspices of
- Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic
- Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports of the Czech Republic
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
- Czech Commission for UNESCO
- Czech Centres
The decade 2018-2028 has been declared the International Decade of Water for Sustainable Development by the United Nations. Therefore the 46th edition of the competition will be dedicated to the theme of:
WATER (above gold)
- Water - there is no life without it
- Water as an element and its different forms
- Water in nature, in the town and at home
- Water and life in it
- Water transportation and industry
- Water – healing and entertaining
- Water and people around
- Water in fairy-tales and mythology
- Drawing, painting
- Mixed media
- Art objects (ceramics, metal, wood, glass, textile, paper)
Photographs documenting art events or projects as well as series of entries that need to be installed together are ineligible for the exhibition.
- The exhibition is open only to children at age of 4 to 16, though handicapped participants can enter the exhibition regardless of age (please include “handicap”, type of handicap and the age of the participant).
- The maximum format for a 2D entry is 70 × 50 cm.
- The maximum format for a 3D entry is 120 × 120 cm, max. weight 10 kg.
- A maximum of two entries of the same technique (painting, drawing, printing, mixed media, photography, film/animation, 3D objects) by one artist is acceptable; however, one artist can send in entries of different techniques.
- Only photos on good-quality paper are acceptable.
- Films - short fims and animations up to 3 minutes in lenght. For further specifications (eligibility criteria, the process of making films) and for online Registration available for download at this webpage in the box in the upper right corner.
- The entries employing colours that can be dusted or wiped must be fixed (pastel etc.).
- Only original copies are acceptable. Copies, Xerox copies or electronic copies will not be eligible for assessment.
- Only such entries will be eligible for assessment that stick to the theme set for the edition. Larger entries, entries in passe-partout, mounted on colour or other papers and entries lacking a proper label will be excluded.
- The maximum weight of a consignment containing competing works must not exceed 10 kgs.
We ask teachers to make a pre-selection of entries to be sent in to the exhibition in order to create as good a school collection as possible.
Application form and labelling the entries
Please, fill in the label READABLY, in BLOCK ROMAN LETTERS (preferably on a PC). Works with illegible or incomplete labels will be excluded from the competition.
1. Application for the competition
To register your participation, fill in, please, the APPLICATION Form - available for download at this webpage in the box in the upper right corner. Enclose the filled in Application Form and the list of the participants´ names with the artworks and additionally, send it attached as a DOC-file to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 February 2018. The subject of the e-mail and the name of the document should include: 46th ICEFA Lidice 2018 + name of your school, town and country (e.g. Application for the 46th ICEFA Lidice 2018 – Art School, Trakai, Lithuania / in case an individual participant: Application for the 46th ICEFA Lidice 2018 – John Smith, London, Great Britain).
2. Labelling of artworks
To label competing artworks, please, use the attached WORK IDENTIFICATION Label (available for download at this webpage in the box in the upper right corner). Each work must have the following information on the back side (works of ceramics and the like should bear the label directly on them):
- Name and surname of the child (give them in the following order: 1 name, 2 surname)
- Age and child’s sex
- Title of the work
- Technique of the work
- Name and full address of the school or organization responsible for sending the work (name of the school, street, postcode, city, country). Information on awards will be sent to this address later.
- E-mail address of the organization to be used for communication on the exhibition – please, indicate the website of the school, the current e-mail address of the school or organization and an e-mail address of the art teacher(s) responsible for sending in the works so that they could be informed on the competition.
- If a child participate as an individual, indicate their name, age, sex and home address, including an e-mail for communication (of a parent of theirs).
3. Labelling and specification of the film/animation
We accept films as independently created pieces of art by an individual or by a group of individuals, under the guidance of a teacher or even with their direct assistance. A maximum of two films by the same author is eligible for the contest. Entries in this medium are subject to the same rules as other entries (age of the child, closing date, theme etc.)
- Animated film, stop motion technique – drawn animation, cut-out animation, puppet animation etc., computer animation – 2D and 3D animation
- Documentary, live-action film, video clip, other audio-visual work – e.g. combined work with animated element prevailing, video art, video collage etc.
Specifications of the film
Video format / use the following format:
- container: MP4 or mov
- format: MPEG-4, H264
- resolution: FullHd 1080p (1920x1080), or Hdready – 720p (1280x720)
- audio bitrate: 128 kbps
- footage: max 3 min.
- Make a short intro to the film (5 second) in a field of black, containing the title. The film ending should be made along the same lines – the title (5 seconds) in a field of black, containing the name of the author, your school or perhaps your school's logo.
- In case of a spoken word or a text box film must be subtitled – always in English language. It is required for all films (i.e. Czech and Slovak schools as well).
- Film must be supplied with audio track in accordance with copyrights.
Course of action
- Create a film complying with the specifications given above.
- Upload it to your Youtube channel (if you don't have any, create it).
- The entry (even in slightly reduced quality) should be uploaded to your Youtube channel with the following caption: your name and age, film title, name and address of your school, name of the teacher (if directly involved in the creation of the film), a brief annotation (film description).
- Registering the Film for the competition: Fill out the Registration Form for Films/Animation (available for download at this webpage in the box in the upper right corner) and send it to the e-mail address: email@example.com. Do not forget to fill in Subject – 46th MDVV Lidice 2018 + name of school or individual name and REGISTRATION FORM for a FILM! Without the word FILM the registration will not be completed. In the Registration Form fill in the address of the Film on Youtube. Registering the film for the competition is possible ONLY by e-mail, do not send it printed!
- If your entry wins a prize, you will be asked to send in a full quality copy of the film.
If the film does not comply with the rules and requirements given above it will be disqualified. The entries are accepted for the contest only through online applications with a link to a Youtube channel. Entries sent in in other forms (DVD, USB etc.) will not be accepted for the competition.
Time schedule of the exhibition:
- 28 February 2018 - Closing date of the 46th edition
- 22 – 24 March 2018 - 1st round session of the panel of expert judges
- 29 - 31 March 2018 - 2nd round session of the panel of expert judges
- 10 May 2018 - Results of the exhibition published at www.mdvv-lidice.cz/en
- 1 June 2018 OPENING – ceremonial opening of the exhibition and prize awards to the Czech laureates and selected foreign ones
- 1 June – 25 Nov 2018 - Exhibition of the awarded entries at the Lidice Gallery
- June 2018 - Distribution of prizes, catalogues and invitations to participate in the next edition to the winning schools and children in the Czech and Slovak Republics, and of letters of thanks to the non-winning schools in the Czech and Slovak Republics
- Sep – Dec 2018 - Prizes, catalogues and invitations to participate in the next edition for foreign child winners are dispatched to Czech embassies, which ensure the prizes being handed over (by person or by post)
After the main exhibition is finished, smaller exhibitions will be created from the exhibits to tour other venues in the Czech Republic and abroad.
- Prize of the Panel of Judges for a foreign school
- Prize of the Panel of Judges for a school in the CR
- “Rose of Lidice” Medal – for an individual
- Medal for a school for its collection of entries
- Medal for common work of children
- Honorable mentions
Please send your entries to the following address:
46th International Children’s Exhibition of Fine Arts Lidice 2018
The Lidice Memorial, Lidice Gallery
273 54 Lidice
Closing date for the 46th Edition: 28 February 2018
Postmark date on the consignment must not be later than 28 February 2018.
ATTENTION: Entries must be delivered physically to Lidice by 15 March 2018. Please, make sure that your postal service is able to deliver the consignment by that date. Please indicate the value 10 Euros. (Warning: a package with lower (e.g. 0 € ) or higher value may be stopped at customs and a tax added, which cannot be paid by the organizer.
You can check registration of received entries from February 2018 at: http://www.mdvv-lidice.cz/en/currrent/registered.
The organizer reserves the right to use the received entries for other non-commercial exhibitions and charitable events and to reproduce them in print. The entries will not be given back.
Please note, that organizer does not provide certificates of participation or invitations for individuals or schools.
Lidice Memorial, Lidice Gallery, Tokajická 152, 273 54 Lidice, Czech Republic