Invitation for Children to participate in the 45th International Children’s Exhibition of Fine Art Lidice 2017
Forms for Schools
Forms for Individual participants
Dear children, dear teachers
Please accept our invitation to participate in the 45th International Children’s Exhibition of Fine Arts Lidice 2017. The exhibition was established in 1967 to commemorate the child victims from the Czech village of Lidice, who had been murdered by German Nazis, as well as other children who had died in wars. Although national initially, this exhibition became an international one in 1973 and since then it has become well known among children and teachers not only in the Czech Republic but literally all over the world. Thanks to good co-operation with the Embassies of the Czech Republic abroad we have had over 18,000 entries from upwards of 75 countries of all continents in recent years.
Hoping you will find an inspiration in this year’s theme, we are looking forward to your entries.
Mgr. Ivona Kasalická, Curator of ICEFA Lidice
The Lidice Memorial under the auspices of
Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic
Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports of the Czech Republic
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
Czech Commission for UNESCO
The year 2017 has been declared the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development by the United Nations. Therefore the jubilee 45th edition of the competition will be dedicated to the theme of:
- I´m looking forward to the trip – going for the holidays, to the sea, abroad, my travel companion, what to pack
- How and which way to go – transportation and people connected with it, roads and paths, maps, GPS, borders
- The final destination – what I am planning to visit and what new I will experience – landscape, architecture, towns and cities, sights, national parks, points of interest, people and their language, different culture, local customs and food, accommodation
- Home sweet home – memories and travel tales, photos and souvenirs from the trip, why I love to return home
- Travel in other times – history of transportation, migration of people, travellers, conquerors, seafarers, adventurers, new means of travel, journeys into space
- A somewhat different journey
- travel in art, paintings, literature, film and music
- migration in nature
- the road is the goal – nomads, vagabonds, tramps
- virtual travel – travel in time, mind and fantasy
- my dream trip
For older children
- globalisation in tourism, food exports
- freedom versus totalitarianism, restrictions on movement, escape, migration, exile
- my own way – journey as self-discovery, self-improvement, way to happiness, working towards one‘s own goals
- Drawing, painting
- Mixed media
- 3D objects (ceramics, metal, wood, glass, textile, paper)
Photographs documenting art events or projects as well as series of entries that need to be installed together are ineligible for the exhibition.
- The exhibition is only open to children at age of 4 to 16, though handicapped participants can enter the exhibition regardless of age (please include “handicap” and the age of the participant).
- The maximum format for a 2D entry is 70 × 50 cm.
- The maximum format for a 3D entry is 120 × 120 cm, max. weight 10 kg.
- A maximum of two entries of the same technique (painting, drawing, printing, mixed media, photography, film/animation, 3D objects) by one artist is acceptable; however, one artist can send in entries of different techniques.
- Only photos on good-quality paper are acceptable.
- NEW - short films and animation up to 3 minutes in length. For further technical specifications, eligibility criteria, and the online application to register the film please visit http://www.mdvv-the lidice.cz/en//invitation/.
- The entries employing colours that can be dusted or wiped off or that could dirty other entries when dealt with together must be fixed (pastel etc.).
- Only original copies are acceptable. Copies, Xerox copies or electronic copies will not be eligible for assessment.
- Only such entries will be eligible for assessment that stick to the theme set for the edition. Larger entries, entries in passe-partout, mounted on colour or other papers and entries lacking a proper label will be excluded.
- The maximum weight of a consignment containing competing works must not exceed 10 kgs.
We ask teachers to make a pre-selection of entries to be sent in to the exhibition in order to create as good a school collection as possible.
The organizer reserves the right to use the received entries for other non-commercial exhibitions and charitable events and to reproduce them in print. The entries will not be given back.
Please note, that organizer does not provide certificates of participation or invitations for individuals or schools.
Application form and labellling the entries
Please, fill in the label READABLY, in BLOCK ROMAN LETTERS (preferably on a PC). Works with illegible or incomplete labels will be excluded from the competition.
1. Application for the competition
To register your participation, fill in, please, the APPLICATION Form – to be downloaded from http://www.mdvv-lidice.cz/en//invitation. Enclose the filled in Application Form and the list of the participants´ names with the artworks and additionally, send it attached as a DOC-file to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 February 2017. The subject of the e-mail and the name of the document should include: 45th ICEFA Lidice 2017 + name of your school, town and country (e.g. Application for the 45th ICEFA Lidice 2017 – Art School, Trakai, Lithuania / in case an individual participant: Application for the 45th ICEFA Lidice 2017 – John Smith, London, Great Britain).
2. Labelling of artworks
To label competing artworks, please, use the attached WORK IDENTIFICATION Label (available for download at the website above). Each work must have the following information on the back side (works of ceramics and the like should bear the label directly on them):
- Name and surname of the child (give them in the following order: 1 name, 2 surname)
- Age and child’s sex
- Title of the work
- Technique of the work
- Name and full address of the school or organization responsible for sending the work (name of the school, street, postcode, city, country). Information on awards will be sent to this address later.
- E-mail address of the organization to be used for communication on the exhibition – please, indicate the website of the school, the current e-mail address of the school or organization and an e-mail address of the art teacher(s) responsible for sending in the works so that they could be informed on the competition.
- If a child participate as an individual, indicate their name, age, sex and home address, including an e-mail for communication (of a parent of theirs).
3. Labelling and specification of film / animation
We accept films as independently created pieces of art by an individual or by a group of individuals, under the guidance of a teacher or even with their direct assistance. A maximum of two films by the same author is eligible for the contest. Entries in this medium are subject to the same rules as other entries (age of the child, closing date, theme etc.)
- Animated film, stop motion technique – drawn animation, cut-out animation, puppet animation etc., computer animation – 2D and 3D animation
- Documentary, live-action film, video clip, other audio-visual work – e.g. combined work with animated element prevailing, video art, video collage etc.
Make a short intro to the film (5 second) in a field of black, containing the title. The film ending should be made along the same lines – the title (5 seconds) in a field of black, containing the name of the author, your school or perhaps your school's logo.
Specifications of the film
Video format / use the following format:
- container: MP4 or mov
- format: MPEG-4, H264
- resolution: FullHd 1080p (1920x1080), or Hdready – 720p (1280x720)
- audio bitrate: 128 kbps
- footage: max 3 min.
Course of action
- Create a film complying with the specifications given above.
- Upload it to your Youtube channel (if you don't have any, create it).
- The entry (even in slightly reduced quality) should be uploaded to your Youtube channel with the following caption: your name and age, film title, name and address of your school, name of the teacher (if directly involved in the creation of the film), a brief annotation (film description).
- Registering the Film for the competition: Fill out the Registration Form for Films/Animation and send it to the e-mail address: email@example.com. In the Registration Form fill in the address of the Film on Youtube. Registering the film for the competition is possible ONLY by e-mail, do not send it printed!
- If your entry wins a prize, you will be asked to send in a full quality copy of the film.
If the film does not comply with the rules and requirements given above it will be disqualified. The entries are accepted for the contest only through online applications with a link to a Youtube channel. Entries sent in in other forms (DVD, USB etc.) will not be accepted for the competition.
Time schedule of the exhibition:
- 28 February 2017 Closing date of the 45th edition
- 23–25 March 2017 1st round session of the panel of expert judges
- 30 March–1 April 2017 2nd round session of the panel of expert judges
- 10 May 2017 Results of the exhibition published at www.mdvv-lidice.cz/en
- 1 June 2017 OPENING – ceremonial opening of the exhibition and prize awards to the Czech laureates and selected foreign ones
- 1 June–30 Nov 2017 Exhibition of the awarded entries at the Lidice Gallery
- June 2017 Distribution of prizes, catalogues and invitations to participate in the next edition to the winning schools and children in the Czech and Slovak Republics, and of letters of thanks to the non-winning schools in the Czech and Slovak Republics
- Sep–Dec 2017 Prizes, catalogues and invitations to participate in the next edition for foreign child winners are dispatched to Czech embassies, which ensure the prizes being handed over (by person or by post)
After the main exhibition is finished, smaller exhibitions will be created from the exhibits to tour other venues in the Czech Republic and abroad.
- Prize of the Panel of Judges for a foreign school
- Prize of the Panel of Judges for a school in the CR
- “Rose of Lidice” Medal – for an individual
- Medal for a school for its collection of entries
- Honorable mentions
Please send your entries to the following address:
45th International Children’s Exhibition of Fine Arts Lidice 2017
The Lidice Memorial, Lidice Gallery
273 54 Lidice
Closing date for the 45th Edition: 28 February 2017
Postmark date on the consignment must not be later than 28 February 2017.
ATTENTION: Entries must be delivered physically to Lidice by 15 March 2017. Please, make sure that your postal service is able to deliver the consignment by that date. Please indicate the value 10 Euros. (Warning: a package with lower (e.g. 0 € ) or higher value may be stopped at customs and a tax added, which cannot be paid by the organizer.
You can check registration of received entries from February 2017 at: http://www.mdvv-lidice.cz/en/currrent/registered.
Lidice Memorial, Lidice Gallery, Tokajická 152, 273 54 Lidice, Czech Republic